Open from April 28th - September 18th 10am - 5pm daily.
A scenic navigation location waiting to be discovered where the Shannon River flows out of Lough Derg.
The imaginative exhibition at the Brian Boru Heritage Centre charts the history of Killaloe, Brian Boru and the towns Celtic and nautical significance.
Killaloe Heritage Centre elaborates on the theme of Celtic Ireland and traces the history of the arrival of Christianity and the monastic tradition, as well as the development of the Shannon River as a transport system. The visit features an audio-visual presentation of the route the canal boat took while making deliveries from Dublin to Limerick. The touch screen facility provides a range of extensive information on the area and the friendly staff have an in-depth knowledge of things to see and do.
The tourist office has a full range of services including reservations for cruiser hire, accommodation, Medieval Banquets, Irish Nights and so on.
The birth place of Brian Boru (940-1014) High King of Ireland - the greatest High King of Ireland, a colourful and influential character is just a few miles from the Village. The 1000th anniversary of the battle of Clontarf is in 2014.
Brochure on Brian Boru 5MB in full colour. This file is in pdf format and is 5mb in size, therefore it may a few minutes to complete the download depending on your connection speed. However, it is worth waiting for...
Regal Killaloe, once the capital of Ireland as the 11th century seat of heroic King Brian Boru, is now the serene centre of leisure activity on Ireland’s natural water park, Lough Derg. Killaloe bridges the centuries, as well as connecting counties Clare and Tipperary with its distinctive 13 arch bridge linking Killaloe to the pretty village of Ballina. Here one can while away the hours observing or participating in cruising, sailing, and a range of water activities. The 13th century St. Flannan’s cathedral only a five minute walk from the heritage centre, unique for its stone carving featuring Ogham and Runic inscriptions is also worth a visit. On or near this site was the palace of Kincora which was one of the main strongholds of Brian Boru.
The canal was opened in 1799 to bypass the rapids on the river. It was a vital link in the navigation route between Limerick and other ports on the Shannon. The canal became redundant in 1929 when the water level was raised over the rapids due to the opening of a hydro-electric station at Ardnacrusha. Interestingly, the lock keepers house is now the site of the Heritage Centre.